Thursday, January 17, 2013

Day 13: a wonderful kind of exhaustion

What a fun day! I'm completely wiped out, but in the best way possible.

The Tricarico family is back!!!

We had a welcome home dinner for them. The compound workers, especially Joyce and Lucy, were SO EXCITED to have them back, and were shocked to see how much Jamie and Josh grew during furlough. I could hear Pastor Al's laugh from the car before I could see him, which made me super happy immediately. I'm sure they're completely jetlagged, but they were good sports tonight and we had a great reunion.

I taught my usual schedule this morning, then had to empty out my fridge and scrub it clean -- it's being shifted to the visitor kitchen. I don't really need a fridge here in my little kitchen, I can just use the fridge Erika and Leah share in the Missionary Associate (MA) kitchen banda on the main compound. My kitchen/schoolroom feels so much bigger with the fridge and propane tank out of there!

Before lunch I did the reading  (from Jerry Bridges book Respectable Sins) for our women's Bible study, which meets in my banda at 3:30 on Thursday afternoons. I did a bit more school prep as well. Then I dashed off for rice and beans and headed down to the clinic with Erika to pick up the Kyalo kids for their afternoon school time. Poor James is sick, so only Faith and Stacey came today. The Tricaricos arrived just after we walked back from the clinic, so we greeted for a few minutes. Then Faith went off to class with Erika, and I took Stacey (4 years old) and Jacob Okken (5) to my banda to do some work with numbers -- addition with fun flash cards, and a dominoes game that involves lots of counting, which they LOVE.

Around 2:00, the two of them went to the Okkens house to play outside. I took a fifteen minute power nap, then went to the MA kitchen to start making a big batch of naan (Indian flatbread) for dinner. I left it to rise and went back to my banda for Bible study.

The field right behind us was burning (don't worry, we have a firebreak!) and the smoke and ash were so thick in the air that I had to close my door and windows during the study so we wouldn't get smoked out. It still smells smokey in here, six hours later.

As soon as Bible study was over at 4:30, I went back to work making naan. With Leah's help, I managed to finish just at 6:00. Naan is so delicious that it's totally worth the time and effort to make it (making it for 25 people is just a lot of work!). We had Indian food for dinner -- Indian is my FAVORITE now, we have it all the time because there are enough Indian people working in Uganda that the ingredients are easy to get.

After dinner we just chatted and enjoyed each other's company. It's so great having the T's back!

Tomorrow will be a very blogworthy day -- I'm going to a traditional Karimojong wedding in a place called Nakayot, a "Peace Village" about 1 1/2 hours from here. Martha, Jesse, Leah, Erika and I are going. I'll try to take lots of pictures -- I'm hoping they'll wear the real traditional clothing (leopard skins, feathers, leather skirts, etc).

Right now I have to prep to give some tests tomorrow, then SLEEP!

Hope you're all well, I'd love to hear from you ~Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment