Friday, January 4, 2013

Day 3: Girls' night under the stars!

Erika, Leah and I, along with our short term visitor Rebecca, are going to sleep on the Wright's roof tonight. The Wrights have a flat roof over Bob and Martha's office, with a wall all the way around and a good sturdy ladder (don't worry Mom, I won't roll off the roof!). When the Wrights are travelling and I'm looking after their house, Erika and I like to drag mattresses up there and sleep under the stars. However, when we slept up there a couple months ago the screeching bats were so loud I hardly slept at all, so tonight I'll be bringing a trusty pair of ear plugs! 
I wish you could see the African sky on a clear night. It's stunning. Last year Erika, Leah and I watched The Lion King on the roof -- the setting of the movie looks a LOT like Karamoja, and watching Simba look up at the stars was a bit surreal. I'm a firm believer that you're never too old for a Disney movie! 
It gets quite cold up there at night, so the cold air wakes us up early enough that we can watch the sunrise. I'll bring my camera and try to snap a couple pictures. Unfortunately the power lines they installed a year or two ago kinda ruin the view (which I wouldn't be too upset about, except that they don't actually work, and it may be years before the electricity is actually turned on!).

In the meantime, here a couple more pictures from recent months :)







1 comment:

  1. Aw man, it would be so cool to stargaze with you in Africa! It's probably a million times better than White Lake's stars! I miss you!!

    ReplyDelete