Monday, January 14, 2013

Day 10: Seriously Cheesy Music!

Today was a pretty great, average day. The Wright kids are currently studying the Age of Absolutism and we just read about the transition from baroque to classical music, so I busted out my Grove City College CivArts music and played them some Bach, Vivaldi, Beethoven and Haydn. [This was decidedly NOT cheesy music.]

Then we had to leave my banda and go to the Wright's house to finish school, and the kids twisted my arm into letting them play Kenny G quietly in the background. There were no words and it wasn't distracting so I let them. Mary and Kipsy have acquired a serious love of cheesy 80s and 90s music (much of which I know from my childhood, so I love that they're into it! Such a blast to the past). The amount of Kenny G, Michael Bolton, Celine Dion, and Boys2Men pumping out of their boombox (YES, boombox) speakers is pretty much astounding. I absolutely love it. At one point Aaron Neville came on, and I totally remember his songs from when I was little... I went crazy with happiness and told them about the time we painted the upstairs of my old city house in Rochester and listened to Aaron Neville and Stevie Wonder the whole time. I recognize so many of the songs that I'll start singing along without realizing it, and we all bust a gut laughing.

Surprisingly enough, Ugandans apparently LOVE Celine Dion. As in, big tough Ugandan men totally dig her music. They play it everywhere, especially "My Heart Will Go On." Funny what parts of American pop culture filter down to us in East Africa! 

1 comment:

  1. hahahahaha! "My heart will go on"? really? I just busted a gut ;) Thank you for being so faithful with your blog- you are an amazing writer and I love being able to stay caught up with you guys <3

    ReplyDelete