Saturday, October 15, 2011

Yesterday was quite an exciting day at Matoke Inn (the Africa Inland Mission guesthouse). Eight AIMers arrived yesterday morning... they will be staying in different locations in Central Africa, some for two months, some as long as a year. The six girls were all worn out and went to bed, but the two guys had the right idea (don't sleep! fight the jetlag!) so I was able to talk to them quite a bit - one is going to Arua, in northwestern Uganda, and the other to Nagishot, South Sudan. I have to say, it was SO nice to be around people who think like me! People who've got the Africa bug and are willing to give up a lot back home just to be out here doing the work they feel the Lord has called them to. I was really impressed by all these short-term missionaries and I have a lot of respect for their organization now that I've gotten to know them and heard first hand what AIM is like.

The big deal of the day, though, was that Phyllis Penner, who runs Matoke but is scheduled to move back to Canada in four weeks, slipped on the wet steps yesterday during a rainstorm and broke her foot. I was just sitting there talking to someone in the living room, and one minute I saw her outside, the next minute she disappeared and I heard a yell and she was down. Her ankle got swollen really quickly. So sad. She got it "cemented." Pray for her healing.
OK, got to go. More later. Time to drive up to Karamoja!

No comments:

Post a Comment