Friday, October 7, 2011

I like Pennsylvania.

I've had a great week here in PA!

Last Saturday I attended the Voice of the Martyrs conference Bound With Them. I couldn't possibly sum up all that I learned there -- check out the Voice of the Martyrs website to learn more about the worldwide persecuted church. Getaneh Getaneh spoke on the persecution of Christians in the Horn of Africa and North Africa, and Bob Fu talked about the house church movement in China. Gracia Burnham talked about her year as a hostage of the Abu Sayyaf in the Philippines, and her recovery after she was shot and her husband Martin was killed in a gunfight between the rebels and government troops.  It was quite an eye-opening conference.

I visited the church I attended in college, Providence RPC. The kids have grown so much! It was so wonderful to see old friends again (thanks Dan and Julia for letting me stay with you!) and to meet some wonderful new friends, like Desiree Curran.

Now I'm in enemy territory (Geneva!). I actually got to go back to my alma mater, Grove City College, with Matt Filbert and Brenda Gladfelter to rep RP Missions at the GCC Career Fair. It was strange to be back on campus, but good to see friends and professors again. I still get tense and anxious driving onto campus -- heart palpitations, dizziness... as if I'm back in the dorms and I've got a 20 page paper to write and 1,000 pages to read by tomorrow morning. I LOVED Grove City, but I'm glad the academic stress is past!

So many people came to our RP Missions table! I wore my Invisible Children t-shirt, which pulled in lots of Project Okello members. A lot of the people we talked to seemed very interested and filled out cards requesting more info. I hope many of them will consider serving on teams this winter or next summer!

Despite the rivalry between Grove City and Geneva, I really love being here in Beaver Falls. This place is just chock full of wonderful people, like Jenny and Jason Panella, Brenda Gladfelter, the Filberts, Stephen McCollum, and lots of White Lake friends. BFC&T, D&D and baby Filberts, what could be better? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment