Saturday, August 18, 2012

WHITE LAKE! Family Camp

Kids camp ended on Friday morning, and in the afternoon the counselors went to Bubba's for BBQ and just to get off the hilltop. At that point several of us were starting to get sick and were utterly exhausted (kids camp was fun, but tiring, too!). Family Camp started off well (though wet and muddy!), with Roger Blevins as this years' family camp president. We had an international theme for the week.


Counselors look at family camp as a mixed blessing. On the one hand, there are lots more adults to help keep an eye on the kids, which makes our job a bit more relaxed. On the other hand, after two or three weeks as the only adults on the hilltop, it feels strange to be "invaded" by grown-ups! But after you adjust to the entirely different vibe of family camp, it is really enjoyable.


The weekend was very rainy, which altered our plans a bit, but the campers still had a good time. However, by Saturday I was so sick that I wasn't too aware of what was going on. I was completely exhausted, had a horrible cold and sore throat, and was basically walking around like a zombie and skipping all the activities to lie down (but, as team leader, I had so many responsibilities swirling around in my head that I could never actually fall asleep during these "naps"). On Monday morning several people told me I looked "horrible!!" and that afternoon the Camp Director Bob Allmond sat me down and asked me to consider going home. He was concerned that I wouldn't recover in time for Uganda and he knows that it generally takes team leaders a couple weeks to recover after camp. So, as hard as it was, I agreed that I needed to leave, so I went home from camp on Monday night. So if you want to hear how the rest of family camp went, you'll have to ask someone else :)


I knew it was the right decision to leave (and I made the decision, it wasn't forced on me), but as the evening came and I started saying goodbye I got pretty sad knowing that I'm leaving for Uganda and won't see any of these dear friends for at least a year, some maybe two years. They sent me off with lots of love and bear hugs. I love you all so much! This is only the second time in 24 years that I haven't been there for the full week of family camp, so it feels strange. I'm going through serious White Lake withdrawal! But I'll be back from Africa in time to be at camp next year. I'm already looking forward to it :)


White Lake is still the happiest place on earth :)

No comments:

Post a Comment