Thursday, August 23, 2012

Packing... oh joy.

Finally! Almost time for me to go back. I've had a WONDERFUL summer at home, but I'm so excited to get back to my new "family" in Karamoja.

There's a lot involved in preparing to go back. First off, packing. Ugggh. Packing for almost a year in two 50-pound trunks isn't easy, but I'm getting there. One thing I really want to do this time is bring a few more "homey" things for my hut. Last time I only brought one suitcase of my own stuff (the other suitcase was stuff I brought for the mission). I could only fit clothes, shoes, some food, and six months worth of deodorant and shampoo :) Thankfully Erika had thought ahead and brought some things to cheer up our banda (hut) and kitchen - a calendar, candles, Christmas decorations, pictures, etc. This year Erika and I will each have our own hut, so the decorations are up to me. I'm trying to fit as many pictures, candles and reminders of home as I can in my trunks. Some people might look at that as a waste of space, but I think it will cheer me up.

Kampala and Mbale shops have pretty much all the basic things I need (it's just a matter of knowing where to look!), so I'm trying to talk myself out of a lot of the stuff I've packed so far. But there are some things that you just need to survive... like a huge bag of pretzel M&Ms. I don't care what else I have to leave behind, the M&Ms are coming with me!

For those who have asked, my mailing address is:

PO Box 1307
Mbale, Uganda
East Africa

I can't receive packages, but you can send flat envelopes (and fill them with drink mixes, photos, anything else small and flat!). I would LOVE to get mail. I will try to reply, although it will probably take a while since the post office is a few hours away!


No comments:

Post a Comment