Thursday, August 30, 2012

British Airways, I love you

I'm way too tired to even try to write coherently, so I'm going to bullet point this.

 I usually fly KLM or Lufthansa, but this time I flew BA. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways:

 1) Touch screen entertainment system (compared to my last international flights which had NOTHING... not even MUSIC!... for two 9 hour daytime flights. Shoot me.) I watched The Hunger Games. Epic.

 2) Chicken tikka masala for dinner. Mmmhmmm. They don't mess around.

 3) The adorable Indian toddler who squealed as we were landing, "Mama, I'm giving you all of my love!"

 4) The British kid next to me talking to his big brother: "Are you sure you can lift them onto the trolley? They're like 21... 21 stone." Basically the fact that people around me are speaking in British accents is excellent. It's much more comforting than being in Dutch airports where everyone is so tall and all the signs are in like 3 languages.

 5)Heathrow airport is full of a diverse population of two year olds at their squat/squishy peak, and they're speaking all different languages. Sorry, I notice these things. Be still my heart.

 6)I have yet to get seriously lost in either Newark or Heathrow.

 7) I have a Yotel (http://www.yotel.com) in Heathrow. It's like a tiny train compartment with a bed, bathroom, free wifi and a tv. I reserved it for 5 hours since I have a 10-hour-ish layover. So I'm going into the next long flight clean, rested, not stressed out. Lovely.

 What I do NOT love is the fact that my friend and fellow teacher, Erika, wasn't able to get a seat on her standby flight from Chicago to London. We were going to fly on together from Heathrow to Entebbe. Instead, she had to fly back to LA from Chicago, is going to rest up a bit and book another flight. Poor Erika! I don't mind going on alone (done it lots of times) but I'm mostly just bummed that she had to go through that. Talk about a stressful situation :/

 I have the Yotel for another 70 minutes, then I have to make my way back to Terminal 5 and find my next flight, but it doesn't depart for a few hours still. Not sure when I'll have internet access when I get to Uganda, but I'll write as soon as I can. Thanks for all your prayers for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment