Thursday, July 21, 2011

Here's a more detailed description of what I'll be doing in Uganda. There's been a lot of fluctuation in my plans but I think this is basically finalized now (phew!).

My main job will be to teach a Great Books/Omnibus course to two of the Tricarico's kids, James and Maria. I've never taught before, but I have a history degree and this course is right up my alley :) I'm still debating how many of the books I should try to read before I go (it's quite a hefty reading list, but I can handle anything after Grove City!). That class will meet for one hour, five days a week.

When I'm not preparing materials, grading papers or keeping up with the reading myself, I can use my free time to do Bible storytelling in the villages. I'll also try to help Martha Wright with her literacy materials and Leah Hopp with her health education courses whenever I can. I want to get out in the villages as much as possible!

I'll be sharing a banda (hut) with the Wright's teacher, Erika. She and I have messaged each other and she seems like a fantastic person who will be a big help to me! She's a "real" teacher and she spent three months in Karamoja earlier this year. I'm glad that there will be so many people at the station while I'm there -  as far as I can tell, there will be at least 20 people there, including lots of people close to my age (just a couple years older).

I really want to make it a priority to get past the barriers that seemed so hard to overcome last time, and try to learn a bit of Karamojong and talk to as many people as I can, especially the English-speaking translators and workers. Aside from a few conversations and an impromptu card game with Joyce, I didn't have many real conversations with the Karamojong. I want that to change this time. It takes time to get over jet lag and culture shock, but after seven months I hope I'll be able to say I have some Karamojong friends!

My To Do List is frighteningly long. Please pray that all the details will get sorted out in time and that I will continue to trust the Lord to provide!

No comments:

Post a Comment